Odisha FC won their first-ever silverware in club history on April 25th by defeating Bengaluru FC 1-2 in the Hero Super Cup 2023 final.
Diego Mauricio continued his impressive performance in the tournament by scoring two goals to make history for the Juggernauts, with the first one coming from a free kick in the 23rd minute and the second one in the 37th minute.
Odisha FC Clinch Hero Super Cup 2023 with a 2-1 Victory Over Bengaluru FC
Odisha FC, coached by Clifford Miranda, won their first-ever Men’s category trophy since the team was founded in 2019.
They won the Hero Super Cup 2023 Final and will now compete against Gokulam Kerala FC in a qualifier on April 29. The winner of the qualifier will represent India in the AFC Cup 2023-24.
About Super Cup
- The Super Cup is a football tournament in India created as a replacement for the Federation Cup, which was the country’s primary knockout football competition.
- The All India Football Federation announced the creation of the Super Cup on February 19, 2018.
- The tournament is open to clubs that participate in the Indian Super League and the I-League, which are currently the top two divisions of the Indian football league system.
- Previous Winners –
|2018||Bengaluru FC||East Bengal FC|
|2019||Chennai City FC||FC Goa|
|2021||ATK Mohun Bagan||Mumbai City FC|
|2022||Mumbai City FC||Gokulam Kerala FC|
|2023||Odisha FC||Bengaluru FC|
Indian Super Cup 2023
- Venue – EMS Stadium in Kozhikode (Kerala)
- Odisha FC emerged as the winners of the Hero Super Cup 2023 Final and received ₹ 10,00,000 as prize money.
- While Bengaluru FC, the runners-up, were awarded ₹ 5,00,000.
- Diego Maurcio, who scored a brace in the final, was named the Hero of the Tournament and received ₹ 2,50,000.
- Wilmar Jordán Gil was the top goalscorer of the tournament with seven goals.
- Amrinder Singh was named the Best Goalkeeper of the Tournament.
- Aizawl FC was awarded the Fair Play Award.
Other Football Leagues in India
- The Indian Super League (ISL) is a professional football league in India.
- It was founded in 2013.
- It is one of the top football leagues in the country and is sanctioned by the All India Football Federation.
- The league follows the franchise system (like Indian Premier League or IPL), where teams representing different cities are owned by investors, including famous personalities from the entertainment and sports industry.
- The I-League is one of the two professional football leagues in India, alongside the Indian Super League (ISL).
- It is organised by the All India Football Federation (AIFF). The league was founded in 2007 and initially had 10 teams, which has now increased to 12.
- Unlike the ISL, which follows a franchise system, the I-League operates on a promotion and relegation system with the lower divisions of Indian football.
- The I-League champions qualify for the AFC Cup, which is Asia’s second-tier club football tournament.
About All India Football Federation
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) is the governing body of association football in India.
- It was founded in 1937 and is affiliated with FIFA, the world governing body of football, as well as with the Asian Football Confederation.
- The AIFF is responsible for organising and regulating football tournaments and leagues in India, including the Indian Super League and the I-League.
- The organisation also manages the Indian national football team and is involved in promoting and developing football at the grassroots level in the country.