Every year on June 30th, we celebrate the International Day of Parliamentarism, which is a special day to remember when the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) was created. The IPU was formed with a noble mission to support democratic governance, promote accountability, and encourage cooperation among parliaments around the world. This year, we will be celebrating the 134th anniversary of the International Day of Parliamentarism.
International Day of Parliamentarism Theme 2023
The theme for the International Day of Parliamentarism in 2023 is “Parliaments for the Planet”. This theme highlights the important role that parliaments can play in addressing the climate crisis.
- Parliaments can adopt greener policies, embrace a culture of sustainability, and lead by example in reducing their own carbon footprints.
- They can also work to ensure that climate change is a central focus of government decision-making.
- The 2023 theme of “Parliaments for the Planet” is particularly timely given the urgency of the climate crisis.
- Parliaments have a unique opportunity to use their influence to help address this global challenge.
- By working together, parliamentarians can make a real difference in the fight against climate change.
History of International Day of Parliamentarism
The International Day of Parliamentarism is celebrated every year on 30 June.
- It was established in 2018 by the United Nations General Assembly to commemorate the founding of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in 1889.
- The IPU is an international organization that brings together parliamentarians from all over the world to work together on issues of common concern.
- The idea was first proposed by the IPU in 2012.
- The IPU argued that such a day would be a valuable opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of parliaments in democracy and to promote the values of parliamentary democracy.
- The United Nations General Assembly adopted the resolution A/RES/72/278 establishing the International Day of Parliamentarism in 2018.
- The resolution recognized the important role that parliaments play in upholding democracy and promoting human rights.
- It also called on parliaments to work together to address global challenges, such as climate change and terrorism.
The first International Day of Parliamentarism was celebrated in 2019. Since then, parliaments around the world have held events to mark the day. These events have included debates, workshops, and exhibitions.
Significance of International Day of Parliamentarism
- It is a chance to raise awareness of the importance of parliaments in democracy. Parliaments are the legislative bodies of most countries, and they play a vital role in upholding democracy and promoting human rights. They are responsible for making laws, overseeing the executive branch, and holding the government accountable to the people.
- The International Day of Parliamentarism is a chance to promote the values of parliamentary democracy. These values include freedom of speech, equality, and the rule of law. Parliamentarism is a system of government that is based on these values, and it is important to raise awareness of them so that they can be upheld around the world.
- The International Day of Parliamentarism is a chance for parliamentarians to come together and discuss the challenges and opportunities facing democracy. In recent years, democracy has come under attack from a number of forces, including populism, nationalism, and authoritarianism. The International Day of Parliamentarism is a chance for parliamentarians to come together and find ways to strengthen democracy and protect it from these threats.
- the International Day of Parliamentarism is a chance to celebrate the achievements of parliaments. Parliaments have made great strides in promoting democracy and human rights around the world. They have helped to end colonialism, establish new democracies, and protect the rights of minorities. The International Day of Parliamentarism is a chance to celebrate these achievements and to reaffirm the commitment of parliamentarians to democracy and human rights.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park