The government of Odisha has decided to extend its sponsorship for the Indian Men and Women’s Hockey Teams (both senior and junior) for another ten years, from 2023 to 2033. The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by the state’s Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. Odisha has been the official sponsor of the teams since 2018, and this further support is expected to play a crucial role in the growth and development of hockey in India.
More about the News
- Odisha Mining Corporation Ltd. (OMC) sponsored Indian Hockey Teams for 5 years from 2018 to 2023.
- OMC sought approval from the government for an extension of the sponsorship agreement on President Hockey India’s request.
- The government approved the extension, and OMC will sponsor the teams for the next ten years, from February 1, 2023, to January 31, 2033.
- OMC will release a total of Rs. 434.12 crores (excluding applicable taxes) to Hockey India during this period.
- The government of Odisha has been promoting the sport of Hockey in the state.
- The partnership between the government of Odisha and Hockey India played a crucial role in the revival of the sport in the country.
- Both the Indian Men’s and Women’s Hockey Teams achieved significant results at the Tokyo Olympics.
- With this decision, the government aims to attract more young players to the sport and create a strong pipeline of talent in the state.
- The brand visibility of Odisha as a global hub for hockey will be consolidated, contributing to the sport, business, and tourism sectors in the state.
- The support of the Odisha Government can help Hockey India build on India’s rich hockey legacy and regain its position as a hockey powerhouse.
- Hockey is a team sport played on a field or an ice rink, in which players use a stick to hit a ball or a puck towards the opposing team’s goal.
- The objective of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team.
- Hockey is played at both amateur and professional levels, and it is a popular sport in many countries around the world, including India, Canada, the United States, and several European countries.
- In India, hockey is considered the national sport and has a rich history and legacy.
- Field hockey has been played for thousands of years in various forms in different parts of the world, but the modern game originated in the mid-19th century in England.
- It has since become a popular sport in many countries, particularly in Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
- The sport is governed internationally by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) and is played at various levels, including international competitions such as the Olympics, World Cup, and Commonwealth Games.
Hockey in India
- Hockey is a very popular sport in India and has a long and successful history.
- India has won eight Olympic gold medals in field hockey, more than any other country.
- The Indian men’s team won their last Olympic gold medal in 1980, while the women’s team has yet to win an Olympic medal.
- Despite the recent decline in performance, hockey remains one of the most popular sports in India, especially in the states of Odisha, Punjab, Haryana, and Uttar Pradesh.
- The sport is governed by Hockey India, the national governing body, and has a professional league called the Hockey India League (discontinued in 2017 but set to be revived in 2024).
- Dilip Tirkey was elected unopposed as the new president of Hockey India in 2022 for a period of four years.
- He became the first player to head the organization.
- The Indian government and several state governments also provide support and funding for the sport to promote its growth and development.
- Odisha, also known as Orissa, is a state located in the eastern part of India.
- It was established on April 1, 1936, and is the 9th largest state in India in terms of area.
- The state has a rich cultural heritage and is famous for its ancient temples, beaches, and tribal communities.
- The capital of Odisha is Bhubaneswar, which is also known as the “Temple City” due to its numerous ancient temples.
- Governor – Ganeshi Lal (since May 2018)
- Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik (since March 2000)
- Odisha has a population of over 45 million people and is home to a diverse mix of ethnic groups and languages.
- Odia is the official language of the state, but many people also speak Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, and other regional languages.
- The state is known for its thriving art and handicrafts industry, with various types of handloom sarees, silver filigree work, and stone carvings being some of its popular products.
- Agriculture is a major sector in the state, with rice, sugarcane, and pulses being the major crops.
- The state is also rich in mineral resources, with coal, iron, and bauxite being some of its key minerals.
- Odisha is home to various tourist attractions, including the Konark Sun Temple, Puri Beach, Chilika Lake, Jagannath Temple, and many more.
- It is also known for its various festivals, including the Rath Yatra, Durga Puja, and Diwali.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park