Following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s arrival in France for a 2-day diplomatic visit, he attended France’s Bastille Day parade as the guest of honor. The annual celebration commemorates France’s national day and included the participation of an Indian tri-services contingent. Additionally, the Indian Air Force performed a fly-past during the event.
During his visit, Prime Minister Modi was conferred with the highest honor of the nation, the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour, by French President Emmanuel Macron. This recognition highlights the Prime Minister’s exceptional contributions and achievements. Key bilateral talks between Prime Minister Modi and President Macron resulted in significant defense agreements, including the procurement of 26 Rafale-M (marine version) fighters for the Indian Navy. These agreements further strengthen the defense cooperation between India and France.
What is Bastille Day?
Bastille Day, also known as Fête nationale française, is the national day of France. It is celebrated on July 14 each year and commemorates the Storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789, a major event of the French Revolution.
- The Bastille was a prison in Paris that was seen as a symbol of the oppression of the French people by the monarchy.
- On July 14, 1789, a mob of Parisians stormed the Bastille and released the seven prisoners who were being held there.
- The storming of the Bastille was a turning point in the French Revolution, and it is seen as a symbol of the French people’s fight for freedom and liberty.
Bastille Day is celebrated with a variety of events, including military parades, fireworks, concerts, and balls. The most famous event is the military parade that is held on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. The parade features troops from all branches of the French military, as well as marching bands and other performers.
Some other interesting facts about Bastille Day
- The French national anthem, “La Marseillaise,” was first sung on Bastille Day in 1792.
- The first Bastille Day parade was held in 1790.
- Bastille Day is also celebrated in other countries that were influenced by the French Revolution, such as the United States, Mexico, and Haiti.
- The color red, which is a symbol of the French Revolution, is often used in the decorations for Bastille Day.
Significance of the Day
Bastille Day is significant for a number of reasons.
- It commemorates a major event in French history that led to the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of a republic.
- It is a day to celebrate the values of freedom, liberty, and equality that are central to the French Revolution.
- It is a day for national celebration and pride.
Bastille Day is a public holiday in France, and it is a day for national celebrations. People gather in the streets to watch the parades and fireworks, and to celebrate the French Revolution and the values of freedom, liberty, and equality.
Indian Tri-Service Contingent at the Parade in Paris
To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the India-France Strategic Partnership, a tri-service contingent of 241 members from the Indian armed forces, accompanied by a military band, participated in the parade. The Indian Army contingent was led by the Punjab Regiment and the Rajputana Rifles Regiment. During the parade, Rafale jets from the Indian Air Force, belonging to the 101 Squadron based in Hashimara, were also part of the flypast.
- The Indian Army contingent, comprising 77 marching personnel and 38 members of the Band, was led by Captain Aman Jagtap.
- The Indian Navy contingent was led by Commander Vrat Baghel, while the Indian Air Force contingent was led by Squadron Leader Sindhu Reddy.
- The Rafale fighter jets of the Indian Air Force also took part in the flypast during the parade.
The armies of India and France have actively engaged in joint exercises and have exchanged valuable experiences. Over the years, the two countries have developed a strong partnership in defense, becoming reliable defense partners.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park