Thachat Viswanath Narendran has been given the opportunity to continue serving as the Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director of Tata Steel for another five years, beginning from September 19, 2023, until September 18, 2028. The decision to reappoint him was taken following the suggestion of the ‘Nomination and Remuneration Committee.’ This reappointment reflects the company’s confidence in Narendran’s leadership and vision to lead Tata Steel in the coming years.
Who is TV Narendran?
T.V. Narendran is an accomplished business executive who started his journey at Tata Steel in 1988. Over the years, he demonstrated remarkable dedication and leadership, rising through the ranks to become a C-level executive in the organization. Currently, he holds the prestigious positions of global CEO and Managing Director at Tata Steel, a renowned steel producer on a global scale.
In addition to his role at Tata Steel, Narendran has also served as the President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), a prominent industry association in India. His impressive career trajectory and contributions to the steel industry and business community make him a highly respected figure in the corporate world.
Early Life & Education
T.V. Narendran was born on June 2, 1965, in Tamil Nadu, India. He completed his undergraduate studies at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, in his hometown. Later, he pursued an MBA from the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM).
His Journey at Tata Steel
- In 1988, Narendran joined Tata Steel and initially worked in Dubai, where he played a crucial role in handling Tata Steel’s exports to the Middle East in the International Trading Division.
- Subsequently, he shifted to marketing and sales, where he made significant contributions.
- He was eventually appointed as the Chief of marketing and sales, and during his tenure, he played a pivotal role in building Tata Tiscon and overseeing its distribution.
- T.V. Narendran’s journey at Tata Steel continued to ascend as he took on more significant roles within the company. After his successful stints in various divisions, he was appointed as the Vice President for the Safety & Flat Products Divisions of Tata Steel.
- In 2013, he assumed the position of Managing Director for Tata Steel India and South East Asia.
- His exemplary leadership and contributions led to another milestone in his career when, in 2017, he was appointed as the Global CEO of Tata Steel, where he now oversees the company’s operations and growth on a global scale.
- Apart from his responsibilities at Tata Steel, Narendran holds important positions on the boards of various organizations, including Tata Steel Limited, Tata Steel Europe, CEDEP, XLRI, and the World Steel Association.
- In recognition of his expertise and leadership, he also served as the President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) during the year 2021-2022. His diverse roles and achievements reflect his dedication and remarkable leadership in the business world.
- Under his leadership as the Global CEO and Managing Director, Tata Steel’s market capitalization has surged to an impressive ₹1.45 lakh crore.
- Notably, the company’s revenue from operations witnessed a remarkable increase, soaring from ₹1564.77 billion in FY2021 to an impressive ₹2433.53 billion in FY2023, as reported by DNA.
Narendran’s visionary approach and strategic decisions have undoubtedly played a key role in driving Tata Steel’s success and establishing it as a prominent player in the global steel industry.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park