The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, commonly referred to as World Drug Day, is observed annually on June 26th. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness about the negative consequences of drug abuse and the illicit trafficking of drugs. The day serves as an opportunity to promote global efforts in combating drug abuse and achieving a drug-free society.
World Drug Day Theme 2023
The theme for World Drug Day 2023 is “People first: stop stigma and discrimination, strengthen prevention.” This theme highlights the importance of treating people who use drugs with dignity and respect, and of preventing drug use through education and awareness-raising.
- The theme was chosen because stigma and discrimination are major barriers to preventing drug use and helping people who use drugs.
- When people who use drugs are stigmatized and discriminated against, they are less likely to seek help and more likely to continue using drugs.
- The theme also highlights the importance of prevention. Prevention is the best way to reduce the number of people who use drugs.
- By educating people about the risks of drug use and providing them with the skills they need to resist peer pressure, we can help to prevent drug use from happening in the first place.
The theme “People first: stop stigma and discrimination, strengthen prevention” is a call to action for everyone to work together to create a world where drug use is no longer a problem. We can all play a role in preventing drug use and helping people who use drugs by treating them with dignity and respect, and by supporting organizations that are working to address the world drug problem.
History of World Drug Day
World Drug Day was first proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1987, and its purpose is to strengthen action and cooperation to achieve the goal of an international society free of drug abuse.
- The idea for World Drug Day was first proposed by the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) in 1987. The INCB is a UN body that is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the UN drug conventions.
- The INCB argued that there was a need for a day to focus attention on the world drug problem and to promote international cooperation in addressing it.
- The UN General Assembly agreed to the INCB’s proposal, and World Drug Day was first observed in 1988. The theme for the first World Drug Day was “Drug Abuse: A Threat to Mankind.”
- World Drug Day is a global event, and it is celebrated in countries all over the world. Governments, organizations, and individuals hold events to raise awareness of the drug problem and to promote prevention and treatment.
- World Drug Day is also an opportunity to highlight the work that is being done to address the drug problem, and to call for more action to be taken.
Significance of World Drug Day
- World Drug Day is a day to raise awareness of the world drug problem and its impact on individuals, families, and communities.
- Drug use can have a devastating impact on people’s lives, leading to addiction, health problems, and social problems.
- World Drug Day is an opportunity to educate people about the risks of drug use and to provide them with information about prevention and treatment.
- It is a day to advocate for measures to prevent drug abuse and trafficking. The UN has a number of drug conventions that set out the framework for international cooperation in addressing the drug problem.
- World Drug Day is an opportunity to call for more countries to ratify these conventions and to implement their provisions.
About World Drug Report
The World Drug Report (WDR) is an annual publication of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The WDR provides a comprehensive overview of the world drug problem, covering issues such as drug production, trafficking, consumption, and the impact of drugs on health, society, and security.
- The WDR is the most authoritative source of information on the world drug problem.
- It is used by governments, organizations, and individuals to inform policy decisions and to develop programs to address the drug problem.
- The WDR is an important tool for understanding the world drug problem and for developing effective responses.
- It provides a wealth of information that can be used to inform policy decisions and to develop programs to address the drug problem.
Some key findings from World Drug Report 2023
- The global drug market is worth an estimated US$350 billion.
- The production of opium poppy and coca bush has increased in recent years.
- The use of synthetic drugs is on the rise.
- The drug problem is a major driver of crime and violence.
- The drug problem is a major public health challenge.
The WDR 2023 also highlights the need for a comprehensive approach to addressing the world drug problem. This approach should include measures to reduce the supply of drugs, to reduce the demand for drugs, and to improve the treatment and care of people who use drugs.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park