Gatka Martial Art to Feature in 37th National Games
The traditional game of Gatka has gained significant recognition on a national scale as it has been officially included in the 37th National Games-2023. These games are scheduled to be held in Goa in October of this year. The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) is leading the organization of the event, in collaboration with the Government of Goa, and will feature competitions for a total of 43 different disciplines. This inclusion of Gatka in the National Games highlights the growing importance and promotion of traditional sports in India.
More about the News
- Harjeet Singh Grewal, President of the National Gatka Association of India (NGAI), expressed appreciation to the IOA President, PT Usha, and the GTCC Chairman for including Gatka in the national games.
- Gatka, a martial art, will be included in the national games for the first time, marking a significant step in its overall development in the country.
- NGAI has been promoting Gatka through its affiliated state associations in 22 states.
- The decision to include Gatka in the National Games will contribute to the growth and recognition of the sport across the nation.
- Preparations are underway for participation in the National Games, and NGAI is coordinating with its affiliated state units to ensure readiness.
About Gatka Martial Art
- Gatka is a traditional martial art form that originated in the Punjab region of India.
- It is a dynamic and energetic combat system that combines self-defense techniques, swordsmanship, and stick fighting.
- The word “Gatka” is derived from the Punjabi term “Gat” which means “knowledge” or “skill.”
- The practice of Gatka involves a series of choreographed movements, strikes, and defenses using various weapons such as sticks, swords, and daggers.
- Gatka is not only a martial art but also holds cultural and historical significance. It is deeply rooted in the Sikh tradition and is considered an integral part of Sikh heritage. Historically, Gatka was developed as a means of self-defense by the Sikhs to protect themselves and their communities during times of conflict.
- In recent years, Gatka has gained recognition as a competitive sport and has been showcased in various national and international events. The inclusion of Gatka in the National Games highlights its growing popularity and the efforts to promote and preserve this traditional martial art form.
- Gatka emphasizes discipline, focus, and physical fitness. It requires practitioners to develop agility, coordination, and quick reflexes. The practice of Gatka not only provides self-defense skills but also instills values of courage, honor, and respect. It is not only a martial art but also a way of life that promotes physical and mental well-being.
About National Games
- The National Games is a multi-sport event held in India, showcasing various sporting disciplines and providing a platform for athletes from different states to compete against each other.
- The event is organized by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) in collaboration with the respective host state government.
- The National Games aim to promote sports, encourage talent, and foster a spirit of sportsmanship and unity among athletes.
- The National Games are held once every two years, and different states take turns hosting the event. It attracts athletes from all over the country who have excelled in their respective sports at the state level.
- The games feature a wide range of sporting disciplines, including popular sports like athletics, swimming, football, basketball, cricket, and more, as well as traditional and indigenous sports that reflect the cultural diversity of India.
- The National Games provide a platform for athletes to showcase their skills, compete at a higher level, and gain recognition on the national stage. The event also serves as a talent pool for identifying potential athletes for national and international competitions.
- The National Games contribute to the overall development of sports in India and play a significant role in promoting a sporting culture and nurturing sporting talent in the country.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park
Which game is Gatka?
In Gatka, participants engage in mock battles, demonstrating their skills in offense, defense, and agility. The martial art emphasizes discipline, physical fitness, and mental focus. Gatka is not only a form of self-defense but also a way to preserve cultural heritage and promote a sense of unity and bravery among participants.
What is called a national game?
For example, in India, field hockey is considered the national game due to its historical significance and success in international competitions.