Gita Press, Gorakhpur awarded Gandhi Peace Prize for 2021
The Ministry of Culture has announced that the prestigious Gandhi Peace Prize for 2021 will be awarded to Gita Press, Gorakhpur. This recognition is in honor of the organization’s exceptional contribution to social, economic, and political transformation using non-violent approaches and Gandhian principles. The award highlights Gita Press’s significant efforts in promoting peace and harmony through their work.
About the Gandhi Peace Prize
The Gandhi Peace Prize is an annual award given by the Government of India to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic, and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- The award was instituted in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize carries a cash prize of ₹1 crore in cash, a plaque, a citation, and an exquisite traditional handicraft/handloom item. It is open to all persons regardless of nationality, race, creed or gender.
- A jury consisting of the Prime Minister of India, the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India, the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, and one other eminent person decides the awardee each year.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize has been awarded to a number of distinguished individuals and institutions, including Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Dalai Lama, ISRO, Ramakrishna Mission, and the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh. The award has been praised for its recognition of the work of individuals and institutions who are working to promote peace and non-violence in the world.
- The previous recipients of the Gandhi Peace Prize include Sultan Qaboos Bin Said Al Said of Oman in 2019 and Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman of Bangladesh in 2020.
Gandhi Peace Prize 2021
On 18th June, 2023, the esteemed jury headed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi reached a unanimous decision to award the Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2021 to Gita Press, Gorakhpur.
- The prestigious award is a testament to Gita Press’ exceptional and commendable efforts in driving social, economic, and political transformation through non-violent means and Gandhian principles.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize 2021 acknowledges and celebrates Gita Press’ significant and unparalleled contribution towards the collective upliftment of humanity.
- The institution exemplifies the true essence of Gandhian living and ideals, making a profound impact on society.
- Their dedication to promoting peace, social harmony, and the overall betterment of individuals resonates with the core principles of Mahatma Gandhi’s teachings.
This recognition honors Gita Press’ outstanding endeavors in advancing the cause of humanity, embodying the essence of Gandhian philosophy in a truly remarkable manner.
About the Gita Press, Gorakhpur
- Gita Press is a Hindu religious publishing house located in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- It was founded in 1923 by Jaya Dayal Goyanka, Ghanshyam Das Jalan, and Hanuman Prasad Poddar for promoting the principles of Sanatana Dharma.
- Gita Press, Gorakhpur, holds a prominent position as one of the world’s largest publishers, with an impressive record of publishing 417 million books in 14 languages.
- Notably, they have published over 162 million copies of the Shrimad Bhagavad Gita and 100 million copies of the Ramcharitamanas.
- What sets Gita Press apart is its commitment to not relying on advertisements for revenue generation.
- The organization, along with its affiliated institutions, is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the well-being of individuals.
- Their tireless efforts align with the Gandhian ideals of peace and social harmony.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi acknowledged the significant role played by Gita Press in promoting these Gandhian values. He highlighted that the conferment of the Gandhi Peace Prize on Gita Press, coinciding with its centenary celebration, is a well-deserved recognition of the institution’s commendable community service.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park
When was Gita Press, Gorakhpur founded?
Gita Press in Gorakhpur was founded on 29th April 1923, by Jaya Dayal Goyanka, Ghanshyam Das Jalan, and Hanuman Prasad Poddar. The press was established with the objective of promoting the principles of Sanatana Dharma, the Hindu religion, through the publication of religious texts.
Which is the highest-selling book of Gita Press, Gorakhpur?
The highest-selling book of Gita Press, Gorakhpur is the Bhagavad Gita. The Gita Press has published over 162 million copies of the Bhagavad Gita, making it the most widely published version of the text in the world.
When was the Gandhi Peace Prize constituted?
The Gandhi Peace Prize was instituted by the Government of India in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The award is given annually to individuals and institutions who have made significant contributions to social, economic, and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.