On July 26th, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) complex at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. He encouraged everyone to think big, dream big, and act big as they move forward. The complex has been named ‘Bharat Mandalam’. To mark this special occasion, the Ministry of Culture presented a variety of cultural programs featuring around 1250 artists from across the country. As part of the performances, more than 300 schoolchildren from Vidya Bharti sang Rabindranath Tagore‘s “Ananda Loke”.
More About the News
- Before the inauguration, the Prime Minister performed a puja at the Complex and honored the hardworking individuals who were involved in its construction.
- During the grand opening ceremony, the Prime Minister also unveiled the G-20 coin and G-20 stamp.
- The new Convention Complex developed as a national project at a cost of about ₹2700 crores, will play a significant role in showcasing and promoting India as a global business destination.
- The state-of-the-art Convention Centre will now provide a platform to display the products of our farmers, MSMEs, artisans, and industries to the world.
- It complements the government’s efforts to promote industry and ensure the progress of the nation by building modern infrastructure.
About Bharat Mandapam
The name “Bharat Mandapam” is inspired by Lord Basaveshwara’s concept of Anubhav Mandapam, a pavilion for public ceremonies. This complex is open to everyone and is equipped with all the necessary facilities to help India become a developed and modern nation.
- The International Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) project has revitalized the old facilities at Pragati Maidan and has been developed as a national project.
- With a sprawling campus area of approximately 123 acres, the IECC complex is now India’s largest destination for Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions (MICE).
- It is being developed by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO).
- It ranks among the top exhibition and convention complexes in the world in terms of covered space for events.
- The newly developed IECC complex includes a Convention Centre, Exhibition halls, and an amphitheater, among other state-of-the-art facilities.
- The Convention Centre serves as the centerpiece of the Pragati Maidan complex.
- It is an impressive architectural marvel designed to host international exhibitions, trade fairs, conventions, conferences, and prestigious events on a large scale.
- It features multiple meeting rooms, lounges, auditoriums, an amphitheater, and a business center, making it versatile for hosting various types of events.
- The majestic multi-purpose hall and plenary hall can accommodate up to seven thousand people, surpassing the seating capacity of the renowned Sydney Opera House in Australia.
- The magnificent Amphitheater can accommodate 3,000 individuals.
- The architectural design of the Convention Centre is a blend of Indian traditions and modernity, reflecting India’s rich heritage and confidence in its future.
- The building’s shape is inspired by the Shankha (conch shell), while its walls and facades depict elements of India’s traditional art and culture, including “Surya Shakti” symbolizing India’s efforts in harnessing solar energy, “Zero to ISRO” celebrating our achievements in space, and “Pancha Mahabhuta” representing the building blocks of the universe – Aakash (Sky), Vayu (Air), Agni (Fire), Jal (Water), Prithvi (Earth), and more.
- The Convention Centre is adorned with various paintings and Tribal art forms from different regions of the country, showcasing India’s diverse cultural heritage.
- 3 August Current Affairs 2023 in English
- MoU Between Subroto Mukerjee Sports and Education Society and All India Football Federation (AIFF) to Promote Football at Grassroot Level
- Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya Delivers Keynote Address at the 13th Indian Organ Donation Day ceremony
- Education Ministry Forms Expert Panel on Anti-Discrimination in Higher Education
- Concerns Arise Over Cheetah Deaths at Kuno National Park
What is Bharat Mandapam?
Bharat Mandapam is an upcoming International Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) in Delhi, India. It is being developed by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) and was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on 26th July 2023.
What are the features of Bharat Mandapam?
Bharat Mandapam will be a state-of-the-art IECC with the capacity of hosting large-scale events. It will have a total built-up area of 1.3 million square feet and will include a main exhibition hall, a plenary hall, multiple meeting rooms, and a variety of other facilities.
What are the benefits of Bharat Mandapam?
Bharat Mandapam will be a major boost to the Indian economy. It will attract international events and conferences, which will generate revenue and create jobs. It will also help to promote India as a destination for business and tourism.